Monday, January 21, 2008

First Entry

This is my first Blog .YEAH. I am officially a blogger. Dont know what to expect or what happens next. I will just put ideas here and wait for feedback.
This could be a great tool for other teacher inputs.
So I will start by saying. "We are half-way through the year!!!!"
Exams are starting soon and In my physics class they are doing demonstrations that they have to search on their own and come up with the concepts and equations that are need to calculate the final result.
So far they are pretty excited about doing them and from what I can tell, most will be well done. Any other teachers do projects for exams, if so, how do you grade them? I do have rubric that includes writting a small paper, calculations, and a audience feedback. I am worried that they are just going to do the demo and copy down what they saw on the internet and not totally understand whats going on.
Any Thoughts?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I do not do projects that require internet research....due to our security guidelines. However, I am interested in the grade(s) that you teach physics. Do you teach any other subjects? I'm always looking for new ideas to implement into my classroom.

KB said...

I think a project instead of an exam is a great idea for the students. It breaks up the monotony of studying for exams for EVERY class. I remember one exam in my German class instead of being tested on everything over the course of the semester my teacher had us write (in German or course) about our favorite vacation. We had to have that when we got to class, and we spent the exam period giving a presentation (in German) about that vacation. It was really cool. I still remember it almost 11 years later.

Marc said...

I also teach Pre-Algebra, Algebra II and Calculus this year. Next year I will teach chemistry instead of physics. We are such a small school that we do not have the staff for both at the same time.
I have done projects in other classes and it is a lot easier to grade and the kids get more out of it. The only problem this year, is that the peer graded is so biased. They dont want to hurt each other feelings and give each other 35 out of 35 points each time. Thats why I only make peer grading 25% of their overall exam grade. I might drop that part of the grade next time.